Monday, June 28, 2010

Why Mercury Is More Dangerous in Oceans

Why mercury is more dangerous in oceans: "- Sent using Google Toolbar"

This finally answers a question people ask all the time about the dangers of eating fish. Is is safe to eat fish if there is a suspicion of mercury in the water?

Here is the article broken down for you. Freshwater contains higher levels of mercury than seawater. But the mercury in freshwater is also less toxic since it more readily undergoes chemical conversion to a safer form of mercury. The mercury in seawater is in a lower concentration but it remains more toxic because it bonds to the salt in the water and remains in it's more dangerous form.

Therefore marine fish like tuna, mackerel and shark, are generally more laden with toxic mercury than are freshwater fish and are more dangerous to eat.

There is still a theory that the mercury in large ocean fish is bound tightly to the proteins and will therefore not be bio-available to the person eating it, thus making it safer to eat.

When eating large marine fish proceed with question. Even though they are inherently healthy they come with their share of toxins. This brings be back to my big point. Everyone of us must make detoxing a priority in this day and age.


Got Mercury said...

An excellent tool to gauge how much potential mercury is in the fish you are eating is the free on-line calculator found at

Reuven M. Rosenberg, D.C. said...

This is an excellent calculator. Everyone who eats fish check it out!